Monday, August 20, 2007

The Thermos Debate

The Thermos Debate
To take a thermos to China or not! That is the question...
(this is one of my older blog posts)

Thermos - YES

1. Because you have to boil water anyway, the thermos was a nice, sterile place to keep water. I would heat bottled water in the hot pot until boiling, pour it into the thermos, and cap it. I had hot water for bottles the rest of the day (mixing it w/room temp bottled water). It was also great for the stressful/screaming late night wake up - didn't have to fumble around with the hot pot while I was half asleep and freaking out. I used it after we got home - very convenient!

2. I relied heavily on my thermos. I used a stainless steal one and it was wonderful. I could boil water for the bottles and use it all day to give my daughter a warm bottle. It didn't take much room up either as we filled it with socks, etc on the way to China and then I kept it in my backpack after receiving our daughter. I just think it made life a lot easier.

3. They don't all contain glass like they used to...and the one family in our group who did not bring one could not find one in China. They were fortunate that the rest of us brought them, and one of us was usually able to share with them. Despite this, many people will probably post, stating how easy they are to purchase in China...

4. If your baby ends up wanting hot bottles, and you want to be able to go on longer excursions while still being able to make bottles on the fly, a thermos is very useful.

5. When we were bused into Shaimen island each morning, and were stuck there until the bus picked us up in the afternoon. It was really nice having a thermos of hot water to make bottles wherever we happened to be.

6. The usefulness of a thermos varies with the baby, parent, and location.

Thermos - NO

1. If your baby doesn't demand hot or really warm bottles, you don't need a thermos.

2. If you will never be far from your hotel room, a restaurant, or other source of hot water, you don't need a thermos.

3. I never used the Thermos, but that was mainly because my daughter was no longer on formula. It was my understanding that a Thermos was intended for use in keeping formula warm (although it can obviously be used to keep milk or juice cool too.)
-:¦:- Stephe -:¦:-

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I found these instead of a Thermos (lighter and easier).

http://www.giggle.com/category_product.aspx?cid=563&oid=600&id=17017

What do you think?