Thursday, August 9, 2007

Use a regular back pack!!!


Here is a copy of the post that I put on the Precious Pandas site.


I have a great Kenneth Cole DBBP (Diaper Bag Back Pack) that I love. I use it a lot and it works out great whenI dont feel like carrying a purse. It has space for all my stuff in the front and all the baby stuff inside. BUT, DO NOT TAKE ONE OF THESE TO CHINA!! Use a regular BP (Back Pack) that has sturdy padded shoulder straps and one that you wont mind getting filthy. You will be doing a lot of walking and carrying a LOT of stuff and a regular DBBP will not work. It will take its toll on your shoulders and back. Take a regular sized BP that has wide padded straps and compartments and use that. You will not regret it! Save the DBBP for home. Anything you take will get filthy dirty. There is dirt EVERYWHERE in China and those cute light colored DB's will come home ready for the garbage.

The pictures show my black KC DBBP and the purple BP is what I took to China. It worked out perfect. Now, I have to warn you, I am a DB whore. I have about 10 of them. I have one for every occasion lol.. My other favorite is a Hollister tote bag. This one works out great when I take a purse with me and can throw my purse in the tote bag. It also hangs well on my stroller. The only thing I dont like about it is that there is no pocket to put my cell phone and I wind up digging thru the bag and usually will miss the call. I lke to keep this tote bag in my car as my back up.

ALSO.. when you go to China, DONT FORGET TO TAKE THE CHANGING PAD!! I cant tell you how important this tip is!! I had to change Lia on surfaces that were absolutely disgusting and this was a life saver. Make sure you take it out of your DB if you are using a regular BP.

I want to second the compression socks. I wound up in the hospital for 10 days with a blood clot in my leg and a pulmonary embolism in my lung after coming back from Mexico. That was only a 3-4 hour ride! My doctor had me start taking an aspirin a day for two weeks before leaving for China and then continue for two weeks after we got home. I still take a baby aspirin every day. I am very lucky to have survived this, a lot of people do not!! You can find the socks in Walmart, they call them flight socks. They are about $4-5.

2 comments:

the mommy said...

Sheryl great tip about the changing pad. I also had a friend who spent 14 days in ICU with a blood clot after a trip to Hawaii. He still has to take cumadin and it has been well over a year. Everyone wear the socks, drink plenty of H2O, get up and walk around as much as you can, and if you can take baby aspirin before the trip...

mskajlc said...

Susan, it has been almost 3 yrs and I still take aspirin every day. I was on blood thinner shots for 7 months after I got out of the hospital. I was terrified of this happening again so I took all the precautions.