Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Challenge #3 - Stephe

Finally, I've almost got my challenge posted. I was going to wait on the luggage but couldn't hold out and went shopping this weekend!Geez...Luggage is EXPENSIVE. I've always traveled with a 21" Carry on and a HUGE duffel on wheels. They were cheap and have lasted forever. So, what's with the whole "expensive" luggage? Sturdier? I guess if you traveled every week I would understand. For me, I just need the luggage to last for the China trip and don't want to invest that much money in it. I found the two pieces above at Walmart. The small 21" is a Protege, which I think is a Walmart brand. I liked it, so I got it. I already have a really old 21" but this one had more front pockets that made it easier for me to organize. I found an American Tourister at Walmart as well. It's a 25" one. It was $56.97. The 25" American Tourister at Kohls was $159.99. They looked almost EXACTLY the same. I know, I know, the one, same maker and size at kohls is probably a somewhat better quality and will last a lifetime but the one I got looks sturdy enough for my lifetime! lol. Only time will tell! My question to all of you...can I use a 25"??? For some reason I had thought that size was too big????
On to my fun travel stuff. I created a "FLIGHT ENTERTAINMENT BAG". I limited it to one medium bag and that's it. No more. I've packed it full and it will be in my backpack for the flight to China. I feel I won't need it for the flight home, I will have my hands full and I will replace it with...Giorgia's Flight Entertainment Bag!

(click on photos to enlarge)

I was planning on taking a fanny pack but I HATE the way they look! I was looking into some messenger bags but they were a little large. Hmmm...look what I found. Walmart again, in the travel section, a travel bag for $7.97. It can be a fanny pack or you can rework the straps and wear it like a messenger bag! It's perfect size for what I need to use it for and my camera fits in it too!

Walmart had this Travel Wallet on clearance for $3. You can actually wear it like a backpack but I have a feeling that is why it was clearance. Why would you want that important stuff on your back??? Anyway, rework the strings and again, it can be worn in messenger bag style. This will be great for my flight stuff: plane tickets, passport & ID.

I haven't made the photos below "pretty" yet. Anyway, here are 3 out of the four carriers that I am bringing. I stumbled upon 2 baby B'airs ($5 each) one is a toddler size and one is an infant size. I've heard that these are great for the plane ride home. I also got a Hip Hammock for $6. It's obvioiusly never been used. I like because you carry your little one on your hip with support and it's much easier on your back. It's great for some kids. The only carrier that I will purchase new is the "ultimate baby wrap". This is the one I really, really want. This I will purchase new because it's basically on fabric. Who knows how the stretch of the fabric will change over time...so, I want to be the first to use it!!! I look forward to see how well it works.

I have some other misc. stuff below.


Luggage and Travel items

Air Freshener (smoky rooms)
Alarm Watch (Alarm clock) Looking for clip on alarm!!!
Baby B'air(both infant & toddler size)

Baby Carrier (Hip Hammock)
Baby Carrier (intend to get ultimate wrap)
Bob Crawford's cards still have to get!
Book (of games for plane)
Bungee cords
still have to get!
Calculator(clipon on backpack)
Candy necklaces/bracelets
Clothes pins, plastic
Conversion chart - U.S. to RMB
Drink Mixes / bottle water
Duct Tape (unique color)
Ear Plugs
Eye Cover
Flash light
Garbage Bags
Hand Fan
Heavy-duty poster tube for artwork
Luggage - Extra Bag (or buy there)
Luggage Keys (bring extra) still have to get!
Luggage Locks still have to get!
Luggage Straps
Mini Voice Recorder get a better one!
Money Belt/Holder
Nasal spray like Ocean
Neck Pillow - inflatable not sure about this?
Rubber Drain Plug
Sunglasses
Surgical Masks or Scarfs
Tissues
Toilet paper Xtra rolls of
Voltage Adaptor still have to get!

Woolite (to hand wash clothes)
Ziploc bags

ADDITIONAL ITEMS OR NOTES:
Clorox wipes
Phone
Phone charger
Night light (to test adapter and good to have)


I'm sure this list will be revised and I forgot a bunch of stuff!!!

2 comments:

Livin' out loud said...

Neck pillow....a MUST HAVE, I used mine to SIT ON once my B---- couldn't sit any longer, You know....like a donut used for medical nessessity lol!
Susan

Somewhere In The Sun said...

Where did you get the currency converter?

~Lynn